Questions & Answers – Pellicer & Heredia


Q : My neighbour is at work all hours and leaves their dog ALONE.
Not only am I worried about the welfare of the dog, but the constant barking is driving me crazy !

What can I (legally) do to stop this?

A : First of all, there are administrative acts which exist that look after the welfare and responsibility of all animals.
Additionally, it is legal for Communities of Owners to determine if the ownership of pets is allowed and to limit the number of pets allowed per person or per household in their registered Statutes.

This is for owners of the property

The Horizontal Property regime:

This looks after the welfare of the rights of and collision of rights of other co-owners in the community.

This applies to animals and animal ownership as well. Meaning that if someone in the community has a pet or pets, this must be allowed in the locality…without requiring a zoo license. Under the

Horizontal Property regime, you must check the Statutes and internal regulations in order to find about the rules specific to the community about the possession of animals.

In addition to this, if continued disturbances were made by any given animal exceeding the normal discomfort of the neighborhood, you can take judicial action invoking Article 18 LPH.

Remember always in the first instance notify the authorities if there is an uncared for pet or an animal in a bad condition.

If you have any further questions about this or any other legal matter, please do not hesitate to contact us; we have a team of experts standing by to assist you in any way we can.

© No part of this web site may be reproduced without written permission from the publishers. All rights reserved. Todos los derechos reservados.

Previous articleHow much sugar is too much?
Next articleAre you making a gardening faux pas?
PELLICER & HEREDIA is one of Spain’s most dynamic law firms, consisting of a multi-skilled staff, fluent in English and with many years of experience in dealing with Spanish law. In addition, a substantial amount of our work has an international aspect. We regularly act for foreign companies and private individuals representing their interests in Spain on both transactional and litigation matters. If you have any further questions about this or any other legal matter, please do not hesitate to contact us - we have a team of experts standing by to assist you in any way we can. Call 965 480 737 or email


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

We welcome comments from readers on our website and across our social networks. We invite you to discuss issues and share your views and we encourage robust debate and criticism provided it is civil.

However we reserve the right to reject or edit comments that:

• Contain offensive language
• Include personal attacks of any kind
• Are likely to offend or target any ethnic, racial, nationality or religious group
• Are homophobic, transphobic, sexist, offensive or obscene
• Contain spam or include links to other sites
• Are clearly off topic
• Impersonate an individual or organisation, are fraudulent, defamatory of any person, threatening or invasive of another’s privacy or otherwise illegal
• Are trolling or threatening
• Promote, advertise or solicit the sale of any goods or services

You grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide licence to republish any material you submit to us, without limitation, in any format.