FOR WHATEVER the reason, we’re all guilty of drying clothes indoors at times.
Perhaps you don’t have any outdoor space and can’t afford a tumble dryer. Or maybe you live in an apartment on the 30th floor of a high rise, where, unless you tie your clothes dryer down with guy ropes, you risk losing your favourite pair of Calvin Klein’s to a field somewhere in the next town.
However, it turns out that popping your wet towels, socks and undies on a clothes horse in the living room for a few hours, could actually be pretty bad for you.
The Asthma Society of Ireland has issued a warning urging people not to dry their laundry indoors, as the added moisture to the room can lead to the growth of mould, and a whole lot of health-related issues.
If you’re forever suffering from coughs and colds, maybe it’s time to invest in a tumble dryer. A moist, mouldy living space can really affect your breathing, particularly if you have asthma or a weakened immune system. It’s not good for skin related problems either.
Moist environments encourage the growth of mould which can release ‘seeds’ called spores. The spores can cause allergic reactions in some people. Mould and fungal spores are often invisible to the naked eye.
Normally, when people breathe in these spores, their immune system helps get rid of them by coughing or sneezing. If you aren’t sensitive to mould, you may never even experience a reaction.
But for some people with asthma who are sensitive to mould spores, it can act as a trigger, causing asthma symptoms to get worse.
So to make sure you’re not making future trouble for yourself, the answer is to whenever possible, get your washing dried outside or in a tumble dryer in a well-ventilated indoor space away from bedrooms and living areas. Remember to keep an eye out for mould or mildew popping up in damp and humid places, particularly bathrooms, kitchens and basements.