Getting married in Spain – Questions & Answers


Q: My partner and I really want to get married in Spain, but we have heard that there is a lot of “red tape” and paperwork to do this. We are both British nationals, so is this possible?

A: This is possible. If you are planning to formalize your marriage in Spain, you will need:

  • Literal birth certificate. In addition this document must be legalized by their Consulate and by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and officially translated into Spanish.
  • Affidavit of civil status. If you are divorced, you must enclose a literal marriage certificate issued by your country of origin.
  • Original and photocopy of the NIE and passport.
  • Application for the celebration for civil marriage from your local Town Hall completed and signed.
  • A certificate from the Town Census showing your address for the last two years.

All documentation must be legally translated into Spanish by a sworn translator.

You must also deliver all of the documentation to the Town Hall in the company of two witnesses who must present a copy and their original ID. These witnesses do not need to be the same ones that come on the day of the wedding.

© No part of this web site may be reproduced without written permission from the publishers. All rights reserved. Todos los derechos reservados.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

We welcome comments from readers on our website and across our social networks. We invite you to discuss issues and share your views and we encourage robust debate and criticism provided it is civil.

However we reserve the right to reject or edit comments that:

• Contain offensive language
• Include personal attacks of any kind
• Are likely to offend or target any ethnic, racial, nationality or religious group
• Are homophobic, transphobic, sexist, offensive or obscene
• Contain spam or include links to other sites
• Are clearly off topic
• Impersonate an individual or organisation, are fraudulent, defamatory of any person, threatening or invasive of another’s privacy or otherwise illegal
• Are trolling or threatening
• Promote, advertise or solicit the sale of any goods or services

You grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide licence to republish any material you submit to us, without limitation, in any format.