INSPECTORS OF the Ministry of Health are investigating possible food poisoning of at least twenty residents in Santa Ana, all of whom celebrated a communion in San Pedro del Pinatar last Saturday.
Inspectors initiated the investigation after Santa Lucia Hospital notified them of four patients who had diarrhoea, fever and stomach ache and said they had been infected in the same restaurant.
The medical examinations will be analysed by the General Directorate of Public Health and Addictions who are expected to issue their conclusion before the end of this week. In a statement they said that ‘until there is a definitive report nobody can be held responsible’ for what happened.
The first patients began arriving at Santa Lucia Hospital on Sunday afternoon.
Among them was Pascual Rodriguez who told the Spanish press – ‘the celebration was phenomenal, none of us noticed anything unusual with the food, but after 24 hours I began to feel discomfort, with a high fever and stomach ache. On Sunday afternoon, I decided to go to the hospital. When I arrived with these symptoms, the nurses asked me if I had been in a restaurant in San Pedro.’
Among those affected is a six-year-old boy, who was admitted to Santa Lucia Accident and Emergency on Monday. The young boy first experienced symptoms on Sunday but it was not until Monday that they worsened.
Inspectors have contacted the communion organisers to request a list of guests, their respective telephone numbers and information regarding the menu.