Traffic Fines


Q : I have received an unjustified traffic fine. What can I do about it?

A : There are several ways to appeal:
– online : visit the trafico’s website (DGT) ; REMEMBER you will need a digital identification certificate to do this.
– Go in person to the traffic office (DGT) in the province were the fine was issued.
-Have your lawyer dispute the fine on your behalf, especially if there are points on your license or if you have been called to court.
-Appeal in writing and send the document to the DGT via the post office (recorded post).
Some insurance companies will also dispute the fine on your behalf.

Remember in Spain non-Spanish residents can be fined on the spot and the fine must be paid in full immediately.

Spanish residents cannot be fined on the spot.

Depending on the type of fine imposed you have between 20 and 30 days to appeal any fines that you believe to be unjustified and to request a refund and any points that may have been removed from you license to be reinstated .

If you have any further questions about this or any legal matter, please do not hesitate to contact us; we have a team of experts standing by to assist you in any way we can. Call 965 480 737 or 606 056 282. Email Videos

The information provided in this article is not intended to be legal advice, but merely conveys general information related to legal issues.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

We welcome comments from readers on our website and across our social networks. We invite you to discuss issues and share your views and we encourage robust debate and criticism provided it is civil.

However we reserve the right to reject or edit comments that:

• Contain offensive language
• Include personal attacks of any kind
• Are likely to offend or target any ethnic, racial, nationality or religious group
• Are homophobic, transphobic, sexist, offensive or obscene
• Contain spam or include links to other sites
• Are clearly off topic
• Impersonate an individual or organisation, are fraudulent, defamatory of any person, threatening or invasive of another’s privacy or otherwise illegal
• Are trolling or threatening
• Promote, advertise or solicit the sale of any goods or services

You grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide licence to republish any material you submit to us, without limitation, in any format.