A WOMAN, aged 84, has been taken to hospital after receiving burns to 50 per cent of her body in a fire at a house in Malaga.
The victim, who has not yet been named, remains in a “very serious” condition, suffering from burns and smoke inhalation at the Malaga Regional Hospital, following the blaze which took place on Calle Jonas, in the heart of the city.
The woman was said to have been startled by the fire in the middle of the night after it broke out in her bathroom. As she tried to flee,her clothes caught light and she received second degree burns to the middle of her body.
Firefighters from the Malaga fire department got to the woman at around 6am, giving her first aid before she was transferred to hospital. They continued to fight the blaze until 7.30am, when it was extinguished and the house was ventilated.
Workers from the National Police and Public Health Emergency Enterprise also attended the scene.