THE monastery of the Purissima Concepcio in Benissa, founded in 1613, will close on Sunday.
The closure of the monastery was announced in June by Benissa Town Council who confirmed that the remaining four friars can no longer maintain the building due to its size and their age.
A small leaving ceremony will be held at 7.00pm on Sunday, organised by a group of people related to the monastery.
Benissa Town Council expresses its greatest thanks and very best wishes to the four friars who currently live in the monastery.
Likewise, the Provincial Minister of the Franciscans – Juan Carlos Maya expresses his thanks and has confirmed that the monastery will “continue to fulfil its service functions in the face of the town of Benissa and its people.”
Benissa Town Council will hold meetings to decide a future use for the space, linked to Benissa and its history.
The use and management of the monastery will be by muncipal part under a 10 year agreement.