HALF a million-people marched in Barcelona in a show of unity under the slogan no tincpor (I am not afraid) after Catalonia’s recent terror attacks.
The march last Saturday was led by shopkeepers and residents of the city’s Las Ramblas boulevard, where a van ploughed into pedestrians on August 17, killing 13 people and injuring over 100.
The crowd applauded emergency services representatives who also led the march, along with taxi drivers who helped evacuate people at the time of the attacks.
Spain’s King Felipe, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and the head of Catalonia’s regional government Carles Puigdemont walked amongst the throng as people cheered and bore red, yellow and white roses — the colours of the nation’s second-biggest city.
“We are here to say we’re not afraid, we are united and we want peace,” a pensioner said as she marched. Slogans carried by marchers read “No to Islamophobia” and “The best answer: peace”.
Members of Spain’s Islamic community marched alongside the king and the prime minister, including women wearing hijabs.
Speakers gave readings next to a floral display with the words “Barcelona” and “I am not afraid” in different languages including Arabic.
In addition to the 13 killed by the van, two others were killed during the driver’s getaway and in a separate car and knife attack in the Catalan coastal resort of Cambrils.
A 51-year-old German woman died this week after being treated in a critical condition in hospital, but It is not yet clear which of the attacks she was injured in
Police said they believed a 12-man terror cell had planned and carried out the attacks. Eight are dead, while four appeared in court in Madrid last week. An investigation into the cell’s possible international links is ongoing.
According to reports in the Spanish press, the cell had planned a much bigger attack, with possible targets including the Sagrada Família, Antoni Gaudí’s much-loved, half-finished church in Barcelona.