AT least 13 people have died and scores injured after being hit by a van in the centre of Barcelona in the popular Las Ramblas shopping area of the city.
A Catalan government spokesman has said that 80 people are receiving hospital treatment with some of them sustaining serious injuries.
The incident, which is described by police as ‘terror related’ happened at the junction with Carrer Bonsuccés.
Witnesses reported seeing the armed driver fleeing on foot.
Spanish police published an image of the alleged driver of the van who is believed to be Driss Oukabir and was reportedly wearing a white T-shirt with blue stripes.
An image shared on Facebook purports to show the arrest of one the suspects some hours later.
A source close to the investigation told the La Vanguardia newspaper that another man had been shot in the Sant Just Desvern area after a man, driving a white car, had previously jumped a police control point injuring an officer of the Mossos d’Esquadra but it is not clear it was related to the Las Ramblas attack.
In a tweet Spain’s royal family has described the attackers as ‘assassins’ that would not terrorise the country. “All of Spain is with Barcelona.”
Son unos asesinos, simplemente unos criminales que no nos van a aterrorizar. Toda España es Barcelona. Las Ramblas volverán a ser de todos.
— Casa de S.M. el Rey (@CasaReal) August 17, 2017
The terror threat level in Spain remains at 4 – which indicates there is not an imminent risk of a new attack.