SATURDAY September 30, BBC Radio 1 and Radio 2 celebrate their 50th birthday.
Fifty years ago to the day, while the UK was enjoying the long hot summer of love and BBC TV had recently broadcast its first colour pictures, BBC Radio closed the fader for the last time on the Light Programme and launched two brand new popular music networks to the BBC family – Radio’s 1 and 2.
As a special treat on the actual day tomorrow, Saturday September 30, Radio 2 presenter, Tony Blackburn, will re-create live the very first Radio 1 Breakfast show (8am to 9.30am Spanish time) – the programme that launched that station on the same day as Radio 2. He’ll be playing all the records on their original vinyl formats, including the first song ever broadcast on the show, Flowers in the Rain by The Move.
It will be broadcast on both Radio 2 and Radio 1 Vintage (a pop-up digital station marking Radio 1’s birthday), and Tony will be setting the scene earlier in Sounds of the Sixties (7am to 8am). From 9.30am to 11am, both Tony and Radio 1’s current Breakfast Show host, Nick Grimshaw, will co-present a special breakfast show across the two stations and Radio 1 Vintage.
‘Radio 1 Vintage’ is a special digital station set up to cover just the three-days of this weekend of celebrations featuring 50 one-hour themed nostalgic shows made from Radio 1’s archive material from DJs across its entire history to celebrate the pivotal role that Radio 1 has played in music, entertainment and popular culture since its launch in 1967.
The first-ever playlist from the Tony Blackburn Breakfast Show that he will be playing again tomorrow in its entirety is reproduced below:
- Beefeaters – John Dankworth (Theme Tune)
- Flowers in the Rain – The Move
- Massachusetts – The Bee Gees
- Even the Bad Times are Good – The Tremeloes
- Fakin; It – Simon & Garfunkel
- The Day I Met Marie – Cliff Richard
- You Can’t Hurry Love – The Supremes
- The Last Waltz – Engelbert Humperdinck
- Baby, Now That I’ve Found You – The Foundations
- Good Times – Eric Burdon & The Animals
- A Banda – Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass
- I Feel Love Comin’ On – Felice Taylor
- How Can I Be Sure – Young Rascals
- Major to Minor – The Settlers
- Homburg – Procol Harum
- You Keep Running Away – The Four Tops
- Let’s Go To San Francisco – The Flower Pot Men
- Handy Man – Jimmy James
- You Know What I Mean – The Turtles
- The House That Jack Built – The Alan Price Set
- Excerpt From A Teenage Opera – Keith West
- Reflections – Diana Ross & The Supremes
- King Midas in Reverse – The Hollies
- Ode to Billy Joe – Bobby Gentry
- Then He Kissed Me – The Crystals
- Anything Goes – Harpers Bizarre
- The Letter – The Box Tops