IN this column we wanted to give six important pieces of advice on how to protect your sight, as this is one of the most important questions.
- Get your eyes tested regularly – every year for children, over 70s and people with family history of eye complaints and every two years for those with no issues
- Eat a healthy diet – A diet full of the following foods has been shown to help reduce the occurrence of Age-related Macular Degeneration; chicken, saffron, dark green leafy vegetables, peppers, broccoli, pumpkin, yams, squash and sweet potatoes, apricots and citrus fruits, sardines and nuts.
- Wear safety goggles when undertaking DIY -There are more than 20,000 eye accidents every year and some of these can result in blindness.
- Protect your eyes from the sun –You should also protect your eyes from the sun with the right sunglasses. When buying sunglasses, always look out for the CE kite mark and ensure that your sunglasses are marked UV400. Cheaper glasses not bearing these marks will not provide adequate protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays.
- Know the signs – Being aware of the symptoms of these common conditions will help you identify them quickly.
- Take action – Don’t delay in seeking professional help if you do notice any changes, the quicker any condition is identified the easier it is to treat.
Specsavers Opticas are raising money for the ONCE Foundation for the Deaf and Blind until the end of the year and asking for a donation of just 1€ for a comprehensive eye test. Visit www.specsavers.es to find your nearest store and book your eye test.