Cartagena tourist attraction record

NUMBERS UP: Cartagena’s ancient site increases popularity. Photo credit: Flickr

THE ROMAN amphitheatre in Cartagena has reported increased visitor numbers for August 2017.   Compared to the same month last year, the theatre and the accompanying museum welcomed 14 per cent more, and with 31,000 resulted in the best month since the attraction opened almost ten years ago.

For the first eight months of the year, a total of 151,163 visitors have visited the Roman amphitheatre which represents a growth of almost 5 per cent.

Director of cultural heritage, Juan Antonio Lorca, said: “The figures prove that this exceptional attraction is the most visited in the region and one of the most popular in Spain.”

Since the museum opened in 2008, it’s been visited by almost a million and a half people, and last year was given the ultimate accolade by the Trip Advisor website by receiving a rating of 4.5 out of a maximum of 5.

“The programme of enhancements to the museum have no doubt attracted the extra visitor numbers and have resulted in these more favourable opinions of the public,” added Lorca.

Of those that have visited the attraction so far this year, 47 per cent are Spanish nationals with the majority coming from within the Murcia region. Others have also come from Madrid, Valencia, Andalucia and Catalonia.  The remaining 53 per cent of foreign visitors consist of almost half of British citizens followed by Russians, French and Germans.

© No part of this web site may be reproduced without written permission from the publishers. All rights reserved. Todos los derechos reservados.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

We welcome comments from readers on our website and across our social networks. We invite you to discuss issues and share your views and we encourage robust debate and criticism provided it is civil.

However we reserve the right to reject or edit comments that:

• Contain offensive language
• Include personal attacks of any kind
• Are likely to offend or target any ethnic, racial, nationality or religious group
• Are homophobic, transphobic, sexist, offensive or obscene
• Contain spam or include links to other sites
• Are clearly off topic
• Impersonate an individual or organisation, are fraudulent, defamatory of any person, threatening or invasive of another’s privacy or otherwise illegal
• Are trolling or threatening
• Promote, advertise or solicit the sale of any goods or services

You grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide licence to republish any material you submit to us, without limitation, in any format.