TWO CHILDREN and an adult were taken to hospital after becoming ill from sweets they found outside a football pitch.
A 13-year-old girl and a 12-year-old boy have now been discharged from the Materno Infantil Hospital after eating the treats on Benalmadena’s Avenida de la Constitucion and apparently became intoxicated.
Health workers were called out to assist the children at around 7pm and the National Police are now investigating where the sweets came from and what they contained.
In July it was announced The Guardia Civil’s Nature Protection Service (Seprona) is investigating the appearance of pesticides disguised as dog treats in Torremolinos.
Police have warned dog and cat owners the poison, which has been strategically placed in areas frequented by animals, could be lethal and also poses a threat to children.The officers also warned the crime carries a fine of up to €300,000 and up to two years in prison.
Two of the pesticides used, aldicarb and carbofuran, are banned by the European Union due to the danger they pose to public health, according to the Ministry for the Environment, while Torremolinos Council has warned the colourful chemical which comes in a powder form could look like candy to children.
Aldicarb, which has been banned since 2007, is described as a “deadly weapon” by animal activists as it stops the respiratory system, while carbofuran is one of the deadliest pesticides and can kill a bird with a single grain.
The authorities recommend anyone finding a poisoned animal to not touch it and instead call the police or Seprona and ask for the area to be cleaned in case of further poison. The Ministry of the Environment has also collaborated with Seprona to launch the Andalucian Strategy Against Poison (EAV) to raise “social awareness and encourage the prevention of poison use as well as promoting police action.”