Apple Crumble Sundae
2 tbsp butter, 4 Granny Smiths apples, cored and diced, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 2 tbsp light brown sugar, 8 scoops vanilla ice cream, 2 ginger nuts biscuits, crushed
Preparation time – 10 minutes. Cooking time – 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over a gentle heat and add the apples, cinnamon and sugar. Cook for 10 minutes or until the apples have softened but still hold their shape.
- Split the mixture between four sundae glasses or bowls. Sit 2 scoops of ice cream on top of each, followed by the crushed biscuits. Serve while the apple mix is still warm.
Watermelon, Prawn & Avocado Salad
1 small red onion, finely chopped, 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
1 small red chilli, finely chopped, juice of 1 lime, 1 tbsp rice or white wine vinegar
1 tsp caster sugar, watermelon wedge, deseeded and diced, 1 avocado, diced,
small bunch coriander leaves, chopped, 200g cooked tiger prawns, defrosted if frozen
Preparation – 15 minutes.
- Put the onion in a medium bowl with the garlic, chilli, lime juice, vinegar, sugar and some seasoning. Leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Add the watermelon, avocado, coriander and prawns, and then toss gently to serve.
Chicken, Sweet Potato & Coconut Curry
1 tbsp sunflower oil, 2 tsp mild curry paste 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces, 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes (use ordinary potatoes if you can’t get sweet potatoes), peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
4 tbsp red split lentils, 300ml chicken stock, 400ml can coconut milk,
175g frozen peas
Preparation time – 10 minutes. Cooking time – 25 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan or wok, stir in the curry paste and fry for 1 minute. Add the chicken, sweet potatoes and lentils and stir to coat in the paste, then pour in the stock and coconut milk. Bring to the boil, and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Tip in the peas, bring back to the boil and simmer for a further 4-5 minutes. Season to taste before serving.