Avocado and tuna tapas
1 (12oz) can solid white tuna packed in water, drained, 2 ripe avocados, halved and pitted, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, 3 green onions, thinly sliced, plus additional for garnish, ½ red bell pepper, chopped, 1 dash balsamic vinegar, black pepper to taste, 1 pinch garlic salt, or to taste
Preparation time – 20 minutes.
Stir together tuna, mayonnaise, green onions, red pepper, and balsamic vinegar in a bowl. Season with pepper and garlic salt, and then pack the avocado halves with the tuna mixture. Garnish with reserved green onions and a dash of black pepper before serving.
Basque-style codfish stew
1 pound salted cod fish, 4 potatoes, sliced thick, 2 onions, sliced, 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced, 2 teaspoons capers, 2 large cloves garlic, minced, 1/4 cup pitted green olives 1 (4oz) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained, ½ cup golden raisins, 1 bay leaf, 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce, ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, 1 cup water, 1/4 cup white wine
Preparation time – 30 minutes. Cooking time – 45 minutes.
- Soak the salted cod in about 2 litres of water, changing the water 3 times over the course of 8 hours. Drain and cut the fish into bite-size pieces.
- Layer the half of each ingredient in the following order: potatoes, cod fish, onions, hard-boiled eggs, capers, garlic, olives, roasted red peppers, and raisins. Place the bay leaf on top, and then pour half the tomato sauce and half the olive oil. Repeat with the remaining ingredients in the same order. Pour the water and white wine on top. Do not stir.
- Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
Caramel Macchiato cheesecake
2 cups digestive biscuit crumbs, 1/2 cup butter, melted, 2 tablespoons white sugar, 3 (8 oz) packets of cream cheese, softened, 1 cup white sugar, 3 eggs, 1 (8oz) container sour cream, ¼ cup brewed espresso or strong coffee, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, pressurized whipped cream, caramel ice cream topping.
Preparation time – 35 minutes. Cooking time – 1 hour and 28 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºC (175ºC). Lightly coat a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix together the digestive biscuit crumbs, melted butter, and 2 tablespoons of sugar until well combined. Press into the bottom of the prepared springform pan, and 1 inch up the sides. Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes, then remove to cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325ºF (165ºC).
- Beat the softened cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually add 1 cup of sugar, beating until blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in sour cream, espresso and vanilla. Pour batter into the baked and cooled crust.
- Bake cheesecake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 5 minutes; then turn the oven off, partially open the door and allow the cheesecake to rest for 15 minutes more. Remove from the oven, and run a knife around the edges. Cool cheesecake on a wire rack to room temperature, then cover the springform pan with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours.
- To serve, cut the cheesecake into wedges and garnish each slice with whipped cream and caramel sauce.