Firefighters tackle ammonia leak from factory

0

RESIDENTS of Callosa d’en Sarria were faced with a “potentially dangerous” situation earlier this week as hundreds of litres of ammonia leaked through the town from a nearby factory.

Firefighters arrived at around 7.00pm on Tuesday after dozens of neighbours reported the smell of gas.

The local police ordered all residents to close their windows to prevent poisoning.

Neighbours did not have to evacuate their homes thanks to the firefighters, who quickly stopped the gas from spreading.

The firefighters, who used breathing equipment to avoid intoxication, diluted the 150-200 litres of leaked ammonia with water.

Ammonia is corrosive. Exposure to high concentrations of ammonia in air causes immediate burning of the eyes, nose, throat and respiratory tract and can result in blindness, lung damage or death.

Inhalation of lower concentrations can cause coughing, and nose and throat irritation.

The factory- situated just a few metres from the municipal sports centre – is being investigated under health and safety regulations.

© No part of this web site may be reproduced without written permission from the publishers. All rights reserved. Todos los derechos reservados.


LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here