Landmark gets green light for Santa Pola restoration

Caption: WATCHTOWER: Santa Pola’s ancient landmark to be restored Photo credit: Wikimedia

SANTA POLA Council will be restoring the iconic landmark of the Torre de Escaletes and work will begin in the coming weeks.

The tower has been in a very poor condition for some time and will now be able to complete a restoration programme thanks to a financial investment from the Valencian Community after a similar request to the provincial government in Alicante was refused.  One of the primary works to be carried out will be the replacing of the roof.

Valencia’s investment, amounting to € 38,841.30, will finance 65 per cent of the restoration work on the Torre de Escaletes which is one of the three famous watchtowers based along the coast in Santa Pola since the 16th century. Santa Pola will contribute the remaining 35 per cent to the overall total cost of the project of €60,000.

© No part of this web site may be reproduced without written permission from the publishers. All rights reserved. Todos los derechos reservados.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

We welcome comments from readers on our website and across our social networks. We invite you to discuss issues and share your views and we encourage robust debate and criticism provided it is civil.

However we reserve the right to reject or edit comments that:

• Contain offensive language
• Include personal attacks of any kind
• Are likely to offend or target any ethnic, racial, nationality or religious group
• Are homophobic, transphobic, sexist, offensive or obscene
• Contain spam or include links to other sites
• Are clearly off topic
• Impersonate an individual or organisation, are fraudulent, defamatory of any person, threatening or invasive of another’s privacy or otherwise illegal
• Are trolling or threatening
• Promote, advertise or solicit the sale of any goods or services

You grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide licence to republish any material you submit to us, without limitation, in any format.