4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – pounded, 1/4 inch thick, 1/4 cup plain flour for coating, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 4 tablespoons butter, 4 tablespoons olive oil, 1 cup sliced mushrooms, 1/2 cup Marsala wine, 1/4 cup cooking sherry
Preparation time – 10 minutes. Cooking time – 20 minutes.
- In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together the flour, salt, pepper and oregano. Coat chicken pieces in flour mixture.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter in oil over medium heat. Place chicken in the pan, and lightly brown. Turn over chicken pieces, and add mushrooms. Pour in wine and sherry. Cover frying pan; simmer chicken 10 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink and juices run clear.
2 & 1/4 pounds cubed lamb meat, 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided, 1 brown onion, chopped. 1 red potato, peeled and cubed, 1/2 cup curry powder, 1/2 cup water, 1/3 cup coconut milk, 1/3 cup drained canned chickpeas
Preparation time – 10 minutes. Cooking time – 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Place lamb in a bowl and drizzle 2 teaspoons olive oil over lamb; stir until coated.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil in a saucepan over low heat; cook and stir onion until softened, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and add potato to onion.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat; cook and stir lamb, working in small batches, until browned, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer browned lamb to onion mixture.
- Stir curry into lamb-onion mixture and cook over medium heat for 1 minute. Add water to lamb-onion mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover saucepan, and simmer until lamb is cooked through and potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Mix coconut milk and chickpeas into lamb-onion mixture and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
Fresh strawberry granita
2 pounds ripe strawberries, hulled and halved, 1/3 cup white sugar, or to taste, 1 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice (optional), 1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional), 1 tiny pinch salt
Preparation time – 10 minutes. Ready in 2 hours 25 minutes.
- Rinse strawberries with cold water; let drain. Transfer berries to a blender and add sugar, water, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and salt.
- Pulse several times to get the mixture moving, then blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour into a large baking dish. Puree should only be about 3/8 inch deep in the dish.
- Place dish uncovered in the freezer until mixture barely begins to freeze around the edges, about 45 minutes. Mixture will still be slushy in the centre.
- Lightly stir the crystals from the edge of the granita mixture into the centre, using a fork, and mix thoroughly. Close freezer and chill until granita is nearly frozen, 30 to 40 more minutes. Mix lightly with a fork as before, scraping the crystals loose. Repeat freezing and stirring with the fork 3 to 4 times until the granita is light, crystals are separate, and granita looks dry and fluffy.
- Portion granita into small serving bowls to serve.