- Last night’s WC qualifying football matches included England-Slovenia, Northern Ireland-Germany and Scotland-Slovakia. Tonight it’s Georgia-Wales and Republic of Ireland-Moldova, followed by Lithuania-England, Norway-Northern Ireland and Slovenia-Scotland on Sunday and Wales-Republic of Ireland on Monday.
- There’s been FA Youth Cup, Checkatrade Trophy and Women’s Champions League action this week, but there’ll be no top-line League football in Europe until 14 October.
- On Saturday, Castleford play Leeds in Rugby League’s Grand final at Old Trafford.
- Suzuka hosts Japan’s F1 Grand Prix on Sunday.
- The PGA European Dunhill Links and USLPGA golf tournaments take place at St Andrew’s and Pine Valley respectively: 5-8 October.
- The China and Japan tennis Opens are underway, until 8 October.
- And the World Darts Grand Prix continues in Dublin.
- Max Vestappen celebrated his 20th birthday by winning last Sunday’s Malaysian Grand Prix. Lewis Hamilton was second and leads Sebastian Vettel by 34 points in the driver’s championship.
- Enable, ridden by Frankie Dettlori and trained by John Gosden, won the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe.
- England beat the West Indies by six runs (via the DL rule) and by nine wickets in the 4th and 5th Jason Roy (84) top-scored in the rain-affected fourth game while Jonny Bairstow (141) and Roy (96) battered the Windies in match five as England clinched the series 4-0.
- Ireland’s Paul Dunne won the British Masters golf championship while the President’s Cup went to the USA
- Team GB gained 87 medals (24 gold) at the Invictus Games in Canada.
- Last week, Celtic (in Anderlecht), Chelsea (2-1 in Spain v Atletico Madrid), Manchester City (home), Manchester United (in Moscow), Spurs (3-0 v Apoel Nicosia, with Harry Kane’s ninth club hat-trick), Barcelona (in Lisbon) and Real Madrid (in Dortmund) all gained CL group victories, while Arsenal won their Europa League game in Belarus.
- Manchester City beat Chelsea 1-0 and Manchester United walloped goalless Crystal Palace 4-0 to remain 1-2 in the PL and Celtic extended their unbeaten domestic run to 58 matches with a draw against Hibs.
- Elsewhere, Barcelona (seven wins out of seven) lead La Liga while PSG (France), Sturm Graz (Austria), FC Porto (Portugal) and Young Boys (Switzerland) head their respective Divisions. And due to ‘referendum incidents’ Barcelona beat Las Palmas 3-0 behind closed doors last Sunday.
- Stoke’s Saido Berahino, who missed a penalty in a 2-1 win over Southampton, hasn’t scored in 31 hours and 48 minutes of PL football.
- When Spurs sold Kyle Walker to Manchester City they replaced him with Kyle Walker-Peters!
- Falkirk’s boss Alex Smith, 77, is the oldest manager in European football, possibly in the world.
- England all-rounder Ben Stokes, arrested last week outside a Bristol Night club, could miss the Ashes tour, and cricketers could be sin-binned or sent-off in competitive matches if a new rule is passed.
- And the City of Birmingham is favourite to stage the 2022 Commonwealth Games.