JAVEA recycled 678 tonnes of glass this summer and has received the ‘Igluverde’ award for its commitment to the environment.
A total of 65 bars and restaurants joined residents in this year’s initiative, which saw a 3 per cent increase on glass recycled in the same period in 2016.
But just how heavy is 678 tonnes?
- It’s about as heavy as the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- It’s about six times as heavy as a blue whale
- It’s about one-fifteenth as heavy as The Eiffel Tower
- It’s about 90 times as heavy as an Elephant
- It’s about one-twentieth as heavy as The Brooklyn Bridge
Ecovidrio, the not-for-profit organisation behind the initiative, presented Javea’s Councillor of Environment Doris Courcelles with the Igluverde award.
The igloo shaped award is made to imitate the recycling ‘igloos’ themselves.
36 new igloos were delivered to the municipality this year to adapt to the needs of local businesses and the collection frequency was also increased.
There are now 242 recycling igloos in Javea – a ratio of 1 igloo for every 113 residents.