Spanish Potato Omelette
1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 pound potatoes, thinly sliced, salt and pepper to taste, 1 large onion, thinly sliced, 4 eggs, salt and pepper to taste, 2 tomatoes – peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped, 2 green onions, chopped
Preparation time – 15 minutes. Cooking time – 45 minutes.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle potatoes lightly with salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown and crisp.
- Once the potatoes are golden, stir in the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions soften and begin to brown.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs together with salt and pepper. Pour eggs into pan and stir gently to combine. Reduce heat to low and cook until eggs begin to brown on the bottom.
- Loosen bottom of omelette with a spatula, invert a large plate over the pan, and carefully turn the omelette out onto it. Slide the omelette back into the pan with the uncooked side down. Cook until eggs are set. Garnish omelette with tomato and green onion and serve warm.
6 tablespoons olive oil in total, 1 tablespoon paprika, 2 teaspoons dried oregano, salt and black pepper to taste, 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces, 3 cloves garlic, crushed, 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice, 1 pinch saffron threads, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 bunch Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped, 1 quart chicken stock, 2 lemons, zested, 1 Spanish onion, chopped. 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped. 1 pound chorizo sausage, casings removed and crumbled. 1 pound shrimp, peeled and chopped.
Preparation time – 30 minutes. Cooking time – 30 minutes.
In a medium bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons olive oil, paprika, oregano, and salt and pepper. Stir in chicken pieces to coat. Cover, and refrigerate.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan or paella pan over medium heat. Stir in garlic, red pepper flakes, and rice. Cook, stirring, to coat rice with oil, about 3 minutes. Stir in saffron threads, bay leaf, parsley, chicken stock, and lemon zest. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a separate skillet over medium heat. Stir in marinated chicken and onion; cook 5 minutes. Stir in bell pepper and sausage; cook 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp; cook, turning the shrimp, until both sides are pink.
Spread rice mixture onto a serving tray. Top with meat and seafood mixture.
1 cup white sugar, 3 eggs, 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk, 1 (12 fluid oz) can evaporated milk, and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Preparation time – 20 minutes. Cooking time – 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt sugar until liquid and golden in colour. Carefully pour hot syrup into a 9 inch round glass baking dish, turning the dish to evenly coat the bottom and sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Beat in condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour egg mixture into baking dish. Cover with aluminium foil.
- Bake in preheated oven 60 minutes. Let cool completely.
5. To serve, carefully invert on serving plate with edges when completely cool