Spanish-Style Chicken and Sausage
1 (8oz) boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, sliced, 1 medium onion, chopped, 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped, 2 cubes chicken stock, 1 2/3 cups hot water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 cup frozen green peas, 1 1/2 cups instant rice, 2 medium tomatoes, diced
Preparation time – 30 minutes. Cooking time – 25 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Stir in sausage, and brown well, for about 5 minutes. Remove, and drain fat. Stir chicken, onion, and green pepper into skillet, and cook 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir chicken stock cubes into hot water to dissolve. Stir in salt, thyme, and garlic powder. Pour into frying pan.
- Stir peas into frying pan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer about 5 minutes. Stir in rice and tomatoes; cover, remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes, 2 cups olive oil, 1 tablespoon salt, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 onion, diced, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 clove garlic, finely chopped, 1 red chilli, minced, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 (14oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained, 1/4 cup mayonnaise
Preparation time – 15 minutes. Cooking time – 25 minutes.
- Combine potatoes, 2 cups olive oil, and 3 teaspoons salt in a large cold frying pan. Heat on low and cook until potatoes are softened, 12 to 15 minutes. Increase heat to high and fry until golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir onion with 1 teaspoon salt in the hot oil until onion has softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, chilli, and smoked paprika; simmer for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and return to a simmer. Transfer tomato mixture to a blender, cover, and puree until tomato sauce is smooth.
- Serve patatas bravas with tomato puree and mayonnaise for dipping.
Huevos Endiablados (Deviled Eggs)
6 eggs, 1 (4oz) can tuna packed in oil, drained, 2 tablespoons diced red onion, 1 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, plus more for garnish, 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preparation time – 15 minutes. Cooking time – 15 minutes
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 15 minutes. Remove eggs from hot water, cool under cold running water, and peel. Allow to cool completely, about 20 minutes.
- Slice each egg in half lengthwise, remove yolks and place them in a bowl. Set the whites aside on a serving platter. Mash yolks together with tuna, red onion, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, garlic, smoked paprika, and salt until smooth and combined. Fill each egg white half with about a tablespoon of filling. Garnish with smoked paprika.