CHUTNEYS are fantastic presents because they really improve with age and go brilliantly with Christmas cheeses and cold meats.
Apple and cranberry chutney
1kg cooking apples, peeled and chopped into small chunks
500g eating apple, peeled and chopped into large chunks
450g onion, sliced
50g fresh root ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp peppercorns
500g granulated sugar
250ml cider vinegar
- Place all ingredients except cranberries in a large heavy-based saucepan, then gently heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 50 mins, stirring regularly until the apples and onions are tender, the mixture has thickened and no watery juice remains.
- Add the cranberries, then cook for a further 10 mins or so until just softened but not burst.
- Spoon the hot chutney into sterilised jars and seal (see instructions below). Store unopened in a cool, dark place. The chutney will keep for up to 6 months. Chill on opening.
500g cooking chorizo, diced
1 large white onion, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
85g light muscovado sugar
3 tbsp Sherry or red wine vinegar
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 shot of espresso coffee or 100ml/4fl oz strong black coffee
- Fry the chorizo in a large saucepan for about 5 mins until golden and crispy at the edges. Remove the chorizo with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate, leaving the oil that has been released in the pan.
- Turn the heat down low and gently cook the onion in the chorizo oil for 15-20 mins or until very soft and starting to brown. Stir in the garlic, muscovado sugar, Sherry, maple syrup, espresso and chorizo.
- Cook slowly for 35-40 mins, stirring occasionally, until thick and syrupy. Turn off the heat, leave to cool a little, then tip everything into a food processor. Pulse briefly to chop everything up into really small pieces, then leave the mixture to cool before packing it into 2 sterilised jam jars. Will keep for up to 1 month.
2 tbsp sunflower oil
3 red onions, finely chopped
1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
1 tbsp black onion seeds (kalonji or nigella)
1 tsp turmeric
2 pineapples, peeled, cored and chopped into small chunks
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
thumb-sized piece ginger, finely chopped
250g soft light brown sugar
175ml cider vinegar
Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan. Tip in the onions and spices and cook for 5 mins until fragrant. add the rest of the ingredients plus 1 tsp salt and simmer for 1 hr until dark golden and thick. Pour into sterilised jars and allow to cool before covering.