STUDENTS from the CEIP Paternina school in Calpe were sent home last week when a strange smell led teachers to suspect some sort of leak.
The school was closed as firefighters and the local police spent time conducting a thorough investigation.
The smell was found to be caused by the works being carried out in the Manzanera by Aguas de Calpe.
The works include the use of a resin that, when heated with water, gives off a strong odour.
The fumes are not toxic but brought teaching to a halt as the unbearable smell came up through the school’s toilets, particularly near the infant classrooms and was making students feel sick.