A SPONSORSHIP agreement has been secured for next month’s Davis Cup contest in Marbella, which features Spain against Great Britain.
The City Council, the Junta of Andalucia, and Costa del Sol Tourism will each contribute €150,000 to the event, which will take place from February 2 to 4.
Marbella Mayor Angeles Muñoz said that that deal: “evidences the institutional as well as economic support to the Davis Cup of the three closest administrations.
“The Davis Cup is one of the most important sporting and promotional events this year for Marbella,” she said. “The city has the necessary experience to make it an even bigger success, with a return of €10 million.”
Muñoz was joined by Councillor for Sports and Tourism, Francisco Javier Fernandez, the President of Tourism Costa del Sol, Elias Bendodo, and the President of the Municipalities of the Western Costa del Sol, Margarita del Cid.
Fernandez agreed that the deal was a big boost for the region: “Once again Andalucia will be able to show that it can organise this type of event and Marbella gives us the opportunity to make sport a beacon of Andalucian tourism.”
Bendodo was equally positive and added: “I want to thank the mayor for pushing for Marbella to host this event, which will be a huge draw for the British market and last year alone, saw two million of its tourists visit the Costa del Sol.”
Sadly for lovers of tennis, neither Andy Murray nor Rafael Nadal will be playing at the tournament although the unexpected success of British number 2 Kyle Edmund in the Australian Open may well encourage a larger British attendance at the Puente Romano court.