Food poisoning of Costa Blanca holidaymakers ‘linked to mussels’

1
STOMACH PAINS: Two people hospitalised after eating hotel’s mussels. Photo Credit: Alpha Flickr

ON top of the original 39 cases of food poisoning reported at a hotel in Javea, the Ministry of Health has confirmed that another 12 cases have been detected.

The original outbreak affecting almost 40 holidaymakers staying at a hotel on the popular Arenal beach is believed to be due to people eating mussels.

According to Spanish media, the AECSAN (Spanish Agency for Consumption, Food Safety and Nutrition) was notified by the hotel after following standard procedures in such cases of suspected food poisoning. They also said that only two of the guests required treatment in hospital.

One was discharged after only a few hours after going to the local accident and emergency department with pains in their stomach; the other stayed in for two days before release.

It is understood that all those that were taken ill are recovering well and since the initial outbreak, no extra cases have been reported.

The 39 patients, all of whom are said to be pensioners, had been staying at the so-far-unidentified hotel over the Easter weekend, with the incident only recently being made public.

According to AECSAN, the offending mussels were caught in the sea off Galicia in the north-western part of Spain; packaged on January 19 with a use-by-date of January 2020 and produced especially for freezing.

They have only been distributed in the Comunidad Valenciana and in Navarra, and as a result of AECSAN’s recall, are being taken off sale.

Anyone who believes they may have these at home should avoid eating them and return them to where they were bought.

© No part of this web site may be reproduced without written permission from the publishers. All rights reserved. Todos los derechos reservados.


1 COMMENT

LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here