AN EMPLOYEE of a butcher’s shop in Los Montesinos was injured this morning (Friday) when she caught one of her hands in an electrical mincing machine.
According to reports, the middle-aged woman was working the machine in one of the butcher’s back rooms after an order had been placed in the shop along the Avenida del Mar.
For reasons that are being investigated, one of her hands got trapped in the entrance to the machine that crushes the meat before moving on to the grinder.
Members of the fire brigade from Torrevieja, with the help of the SAMU emergency paramedics and the Guardia Civil, managed to completely dismantle the machine to release the limb after about an hour, although not before significant amounts of sedatives had been administered before the delicate operation took place.
The woman has been transferred to the University Hospital of Torrevieja.