News Top News World News

Army sent in as Trump attacks ‘thugs’ as Police station set ablaze over black man’s death

A police station has been set on fire in the USA over further outrage over a defenceless man’s death at the hands of police officers.

George Floyd, died on Monday after being suffocated by a policeman in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Onlookers witnessed in horror as the police officer knelt his full weight on the head and neck of the defenceless Floyd who was laying chest first on the ground with both of his hands handcuffed behind his back.

Mr Floyd begged for his life before passing out and never recovering.

Videos of him being killed went viral with protests across Minneapolis raging into Tuesday night and haven’t curtailed since.

In last night’s protests which have raged for three days now, a police station was set on fire.

Reports said that soon afterwards, fire alarms could be heard as fires were set.

Police appeared to have left the left the area before the protesters surged into the station located near the city’s Seward area in the south-east of the city by the Mississippi River.

Houses and other buildings were filmed on fire.

President Trump took to Twitter to condemn the protestors he labelled as ‘thugs’ and outed the authorities for ‘being weak.’

He said that there had been “a total lack of leadership” among the city’s authorities as the protests intensified.

He said: “Either the very weak radical left mayor, Jacob Frey, gets his act together and brings the city under control, or I will send in the National Guard and get the job done right.”

In his second tweet, President Trump wrote: “These thugs are dishonouring the memory of George Floyd, and I won’t let that happen. Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the military is with him all the way. Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts. Thank you!”

Protests were also reported in the state of Minnesota’s capital St Paul, only a couple of miles across the river from Minneapolis.

The National Guard was sent in by Governor Tim Waltz to put down the riots.

“Our mission is to protect life, preserve property and the right to peacefully demonstrate,” it said in a tweet.

However, protestor 20 year old Erika Atson said: “We don’t want to be here fighting against anyone. We don’t want anyone to be hurt. We don’t want to cause any damages. We just want the police officer to be held accountable.”

The four police officers who were at the scene were fired immediately after the video of the incident surfaced with the mayor of Minneapolis Jacob Frey condemning them.

The FBI have launched an investigation into the death with possible criminal charges against the officers.


More RTN News Articles

RTN facebook


Spread the RTN News!

Think your friends would like to read this news? Share this story!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *