This Day in History… Interesting facts about today throughout History.
- 1626 – Dutch colonist Peter Minuit organizes the purchase of Manhattan Island from native Americans for 60 guilders worth of goods.
- 1840 – World’s first adhesive postage stamp, the “Penny Black” is first used in Great Britain.
- 1889 – The World Fair opens in Paris with the recently completed Eiffel Tower serving as the entrance arch.
- 1937 – German airship Hindenburg explodes in flames at Lakehurst, New Jersey, killing 35 of the 97 on board and 1 on the ground.
- 1941 – Joseph Stalin becomes Premier of the Soviet Union, replacing his Foreign Minister Vyacheslav Molotov.
- 1954 – Roger Bannister from the UK becomes the first man to run a 4 minute mile at Iffley Road in Oxford.
Today in TV
- 2004 – TV sitcom Friends airs season finale in 10th and final season in Us (52.5 million viewers).
Today in Music
- 1966 – The Rolling Stones release “Paint it Black” in the US.