This Day in History… Interesting facts about today throughout History.
- 1429 – English siege of Orleans broken by Joan of Arc and the French army
- 1912 – Columbia University approves plans for awarding the Pulitzer prize in several categories after being established by Joseph Pulitzer
- 1915 – RMS Lusitania sunk by German submarine off the coast of Ireland. 1198 lives lost.
- 1939 – German and Italy announce alliance, known as the Rome-Berlin axis.
- 1945 – World War 2. Unconditional German surrender to the allies signed by General Alfred Jodi at Rheims.
- 1952 – The concept of the integrated circuit, the basis for all modern computer, is published by Geoffrey Dummer.
- 2017- Emmanuel Macron wins presidential election in France, defeating Marine Le Pen.
Today in Film and TV:
- 2017 – Baahubali 2: The Conclusion becomes the highest grossing Indian box office film ever earning $120 million.
Today in Music:
- 1824 – Ludwig van Beethoven’s 9th symphony premieres in Vienna, often regarded as his greatest work.
- More News