Interesting events throughout history on This Day In History 9th May
- 1386 – Treaty of Windsor between Portugal and England (the oldest diplomatic alliance in the world still in force today)
- 1865 – President Andrew Johnson issues a proclamation declaring armed resistance in the South is virtually at an end, this is the commonly accepted end date of the American Civil War.
- 1901 – The first Australian Parliament opens in Melbourne, though the first working session will not be until the 24th May.
- 1941 – British intelligence at Bletchley Park breaks German spy codes after capturing Enigma machines aboard the weather ship Muenchen.
- 1945 – World War II: The Soviet Union marks Victory Day.
- 1960 – The US becomes the first country to legalize the birth control pill.
- 2018 – Historic win in Malaysian general election by opposition coalition Pakatan Harapan led by 92 year old former Prime Minister Dr. Mahathir bin Mohamad, defeating Najib Razak and ending 61 years of rule by the Barisan National coalition.
Today in TV and Film
- 1958 – “Vertigo”, American film noir psychological thriller directed by Alfred Hitchcock, starring Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak, is released.
Today in Sport
- 2001 – Accra sports stadium disaster. 129 Ghanian football fans die in a stampede caused by the firing of teargas by police following a decision by the referee in a crucial match between rivals Accra Hearts of Oak and Kumasi Asante Kotoko.
Today in Music
- 1962 – The Beatles sign their first contract with EMI Parlophone.