Interesting events through history – This Day in History May 11th
- 330 – Constantinople (Byzantium) becomes the capital of the Roman Empire.
- 1189 – Roma Emperor Frederick Barbarossa and 100,000 crusaders depart Regensburg for the Third Crusade.
- 1751 – Pennsylvania Hospital founded by Dr. Thomas Bond and Benjamin Franklin.
- 1924 – Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft and Benz&Co begin their first joint venture (later merging into Mercedes Benz).
- 1995 – In New York city, more than 170 countries decide to extend the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty indefinitely and without conditions.
- 2000 – India’s population officially reaches 1 billion – Astha Arora named India’s billionth baby.
Today in Film and TV
- 1969 – British comedy troop Monty Python forms, made up of Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin.
Today in Music
- 1981 – Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical “Cats” (based on poetry from T.S.Eliot) and directed by Trevor Nunn first premieres in the West End of London.