Interesting facts from This Day in History May 12th
- 1789 – William Wilberforce makes his first major speech on abolition in the UK House of Commons, reasoning the slave trade morally reprehensible and an issue of natural justice.
- 1940 – Nazi blitzkrieg and conquest of France begins with the crossing of the Muese river.
- 1943 – Axis forces in North Africa surrender.
- 2002 – Former US President Jimmy Carter arrives in Cuba for a five day visit with Fidel Castro, becoming the first President of the US, in or out of office, to visit the island since Castro’s 1959 revolution.
- 2008 – Wenchuan earthquake, measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale, occurs in Sichuan, China, killing over 87,000 and injuring 374,643 and leaving between 4.8 million and 11 million homeless.
Today in Film and TV
- 1994 – “Pulp Fiction” directed by Quentin Tarantino and starring John Travolta, Uma Thurman and Samuel L Jackson premieres at the Cannes Film Festival (Palme d’Or 1994).
Today in Music
- 1967 – “Are you Experienced” album by the Jimi Henrix Experience first released – one of the most influential debut albums ever.