Interesting facts about This day in History May 15th
- 1252 – Pope Innocent IV issues the papal bill exstirpanda, authorizing, but also limiting, the torture of Heretics in the Medieval Inquisition.
- 1618 – German astronomer Johannes Kepler discovers the third of his three planetary laws, the “harmonics law”.
- 1869 – National Woman Suffrage Association forms in New York, founded by Susan B Antony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton.
- 1940 – Richard and Maurice McDonald open the 1st McDonald’s restaurant in San Bernardino, California.
- 1951 – AT&T becomes the 1st US corporation to have a million stockholders after young car salesman Brady Denton purchases 7 shares worth $1,078.
- 1988 – USSR begins withdrawing it’s 15,000 troops from Afghanistan.
Today in Film and TV
- 2002 – “Bowling for Columbine”, a documentary directed by Michael Moore has it’s premiere at the Cannes Film Festival.
Today in Sport
- 2010 – Jessica Watson at age 16 becomes the youngest person to sail solo, non-stop and unassisted around the world.