Interesting facts about this day in history May 17th
- 1527 – Panfilo de Narvaez departs Spain to explore Florida with 600 men. By
- 1536 only 4 were left surviving.
- 1762 – 24 merchants form New York Stock Exchange at 70 Wall Street.
- 1803 – John Hawkins and Richard French patent the reaping machine.
- 1973 – Senate Watergate Committee begins its hearings.
- 2004 – Massachusetts becomes the first US state to legalize same-sex marriage.
- 2014 – The centre-right Hindu Nationalist Party, the BJP, wins landslide election victory in India.
Today in Film and TV
- 1939 – First ever televised baseball game is broadcast on NBC, with Princeton beating Columbia 2-1.
Today in Music
- 2015 – “Blurryface”, 4th studio album by Twenty One Pilots, is released (1st ever album to have every track gold-certified).