Interesting facts about This day in history May 18th
- 1291 – After 100 years of Crusader control, Acre is the last Crusader stronghold reconquered and destroyed by the Mamluks under Sultan al-Ashraf Khalil.
- 1804 – Napoleon Bonaparte proclaimed Emperor of France by the French Senate.
- 1896 – Khodynka Tragedy. A mass panic on Khodynka Field, Moscow, during the festivities of the coronation of Tsar Nicholas II, results in the deaths of 1,389 people.
- 1974 – India becomes the sixth nation to explode an atomic bomb.
- 2009 – Sri Lankan Civil War. The LTTE are defeated by the Sri Lankan government, ending almost 26 years of fighting between the two sides.
Today in Film and TV
- 1927 – Grauman’s Chinese Theatre opens in Hollywood, California.
Today in Music
- 1999 – “Millenium” 3rd studio album by the Backstreet Boys is released – one of the best selling albums of all time, over 30 million copies sold.